The Male Mid-Life Crisis by Nancy Mayer:
My friend just posted a book I recommended The Male Mid-Life Crisis by Nancy Mayer:
I first read this when I was 17 in high school, and it fundamentally shifted the way I viewed life/relationships/death.
It was cool to see from a young age what causes (men in particular) to blow up their lives in middle age, and I took away many methods of avoiding it.
The book shows how males can approach a “mid life crisis” when all these stressors hit at the same time:
- They look at their children and realize “THEY are young, I am old.”
- Their parents are starting to fade or die, and they see they’re next.
- Financial demands from children, spouse, life, parents.
- Time demands from children, spouse, friends, work, parents.
- Some men got pressured into marriage way too young and never got to explore the world outside their relationship and they realize “this is it.”
According to the book a combination of these things happening at the same time can make a man snap.
I talk about it in this one minute clip:
Anyways, checkout the book if you’re interested in the subject. I found her writing style to be incredibly raw and honest which is what I liked about the book.